GunGame5.1 Beta Release Date?

Ask questions and share info about GunGame 5

GunGame5.1 Beta Release Date?

Postby pyro » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Hey...
Does anyone know when a beta version of GunGame5.1 will be released?

Regards,
Aaron
pyro

Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Xfire Name: pyromaniac771

Postby XE_ManUp » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:25 am

Not exactly, we are running into a crashing issue due to stripping happening for the same entity, which removes WorldSpawn. Once we get that handled properly, we might be able to guesstimate a release date a little bit better.
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GunGame5.1 Beta Release Date?

Postby pyro » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:47 am

Thanks XE_ManUp,

Can't wait till this new version comes out. If you could keep us up to date that would be awsome.
pyro

Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Postby XE_ManUp » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:24 am

Sure. One thing I can definately tell you is that the new version (5.1) will require SPE to be installed. SPE will be the saving grace for keeping servers crashing from WorldSpawn being removed. That's one of the MANY reasons.
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby .3lite » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:37 pm

XE_ManUp wrote:Sure. One thing I can definately tell you is that the new version (5.1) will require SPE to be installed. SPE will be the saving grace for keeping servers crashing from WorldSpawn being removed. That's one of the MANY reasons.

Don't keep it unless you release 5.1, some people have their serious servers with GunGame5 installed and they would like to know how to fix that problem with gg_turbo, or just give some piece of concept (if you haven't done it) so we can fix our servers.
I believe you saw my thread, I don't know if you knew about that problem before (most likely you did) but I gave some more information about this bug as normal user of GunGame5, so it would be great if you could provide us some knowledge abnout fixing it.

Anyway, I have changed my dedicated host to really fast computer, so it wasn't that.
.3lite

Private
Private

Postby XE_ManUp » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:05 pm

.3lite wrote:Don't keep it unless you release 5.1, some people have their serious servers with GunGame5 installed and they would like to know how to fix that problem with gg_turbo, or just give some piece of concept (if you haven't done it) so we can fix our servers.
I believe you saw my thread, I don't know if you knew about that problem before (most likely you did) but I gave some more information about this bug as normal user of GunGame5, so it would be great if you could provide us some knowledge abnout fixing it.

Anyway, I have changed my dedicated host to really fast computer, so it wasn't that.

We are releasing 5.1. GunGame5.1 is the fix that we are providing. The back-end programming is more well-organized and optimized. If there is a crash or a problem, we are able to find it more quickly and easily. I'm not sure what you meant by saying "Don't keep it unless you release 5.1," because SPE is one of the main reasons that 5.1 will not crash due to worldspawn removal. Perhaps I misunderstood here.

Now, if you are wanting a programming point-of-view into the crashes, es_xremove is the function that we use to get rid of entities. This method is opened up to us by EventScripts. We programmed a method into GunGame to where when you give a player a weapon, the weapon in the slot that you are giving to is stripped. However, if multiple scripts call this at close to the same time, there is a possibility of the entity being removed by one script, then being attempted to be removed by another. We check to make sure the entity exists, but sometimes the check we have provides a false positive (if that is even the case). The reason being is that es_xremove is a little slow. So, when we check to see if the entity exists, it still does, but it is in process of being removed by another script. In essence, when the entity is removed a second time, WorldSpawn is removed instead. This is no fault of our own (the way es_xremove works), but the fault of how VALVe failed to code the ent_remove command (which is what EventScripts wraps to remove the entity) to be more safe and not remove entities that do not exist, resulting in the removal of WorldSpawn and the crash of the server.
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby .3lite » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:39 pm

XE_ManUp wrote:
.3lite wrote:Don't keep it unless you release 5.1, some people have their serious servers with GunGame5 installed and they would like to know how to fix that problem with gg_turbo, or just give some piece of concept (if you haven't done it) so we can fix our servers.

We are releasing 5.1. GunGame5.1 is the fix that we are providing. The back-end programming is more well-organized and optimized. If there is a crash or a problem, we are able to find it more quickly and easily. I'm not sure what you meant by saying "Don't keep it unless you release 5.1," because SPE is one of the main reasons that 5.1 will not crash due to worldspawn removal. Perhaps I misunderstood here.

Now, if you are wanting a programming point-of-view into the crashes, es_xremove is the function that we use to get rid of entities. This method is opened up to us by EventScripts. We programmed a method into GunGame to where when you give a player a weapon, the weapon in the slot that you are giving to is stripped. However, if multiple scripts call this at close to the same time, there is a possibility of the entity being removed by one script, then being attempted to be removed by another. We check to make sure the entity exists, but sometimes the check we have provides a false positive (if that is even the case). The reason being is that es_xremove is a little slow. So, when we check to see if the entity exists, it still does, but it is in process of being removed by another script. In essence, when the entity is removed a second time, WorldSpawn is removed instead. This is no fault of our own (the way es_xremove works), but the fault of how VALVe failed to code the ent_remove command (which is what EventScripts wraps to remove the entity) to be more safe and not remove entities that do not exist, resulting in the removal of WorldSpawn and the crash of the server.

I meant that you should tell people way of fixing crash bug even before you release your gungame 5.1 because they may have problems with their own servers and have to stay on gg4 because of that.

Anyway, I have changed es_xremove in gg_turbo to removeEntityByIndex from SPE when I read your message, let's hope that it will fix the problem.
.3lite

Private
Private

Postby XE_ManUp » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:09 pm

I replied to your post HERE. I'm trying to keep these topic on-topic.
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pyro » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:31 am

Dear XE_ManUp,

Thanks for your replies... Would i be able to be a Beta tester for this new GunGame5.1 when you decide to realease?

.3lite,
i too did not understand why they would relaease a new version when they should just fix the old one however, i too came to realise through the GG5 Admins and discussions with them that that is not the case.

I dont think you understand the complexity of the current GunGame5 layout? There is only so much "fixing" you can do once you hit a certain point it needs to be written again and this point was a long time ago. GunGame 5.1 is the fix for GunGame5. Its like moving from GunGame3 to GunGame4.

I hope this answers your question...

Oh and XE_ManUp...... PLEASE let me be a beta TESTER!!!!!
pyro

Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Return to General Discussion