GunGame5 Prelude Tournament

Ask questions and share info about GunGame 5

GunGame5 Prelude Tournament

Postby XE_ManUp » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:03 pm

I have been talking with Cheebz of FPSBanana about having a tournament to introduce GunGame5 to the world. I think it would also be a great way of introducing and launching this website to the public as well. Sc0pe and tnbPorsche seem to like the idea, and are willing to help. Below, I will make an attempt to outline the concept of what I think the tournament should consist of.

Tournament Basics:
  • We will have 2 different servers, at least 20 slots per server.
  • Set up time slots for each server:
    • 7:00pm
    • 7:30pm
    • 8:00pm
    • 8:30pm
  • Each winner from both servers will play at 9:00pm (winners should total 8-10 players for the final match).
  • Total players that can enter the tourament:
    • 4 time slots * 20 players * 2 servers = 160 players
    • 8 finalists

Tournament Play:
  • Default Weapon Order
  • Deathmatch
  • Knife Rookie

Prizes:
  • All finalists will be given a prize for making it to the final round at 9:00pm.
  • The winner of the final round will be given a grand prize, plus the prize that the finalists were given.

• Registration will be open to anyone, here on these forums.
  • Clans can register, although I would like to discourage them overtaking a server as a clan. This would be difficult to monitor.
  • Each time slot (listed above) will be limited to 10 players until we have filled all slots:
    • Once we have filled the slots, we can then up each time slot by 5 players, until we have a total of 20 players per time slot.
    • 10 players until all slots are filled, 15 players until all slots are filled, 20 players until all slots are filled.
  • To register, players provide us with their name and steamid (although we may want to find a way to keep their steamid private).

The Technical Side:
We could theoretically code a script to handle the match stuff for us that would record the winners. The idea sc0pe and I discussed is to write a script that would contain the steamids of the players that are allowed to play per time slot, as well as automatically change the name and password of the server for the next match. We would make the server password protected per time slot, and we would give those that registered the password for their respective time slot to prevent random people from trying to join. Another thing that we could do is use some configs of previously banned individuals as determined by CAL/TWL or whomever else.

Just tossing some ideas out there. ;)
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby moethelawn » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:33 pm

Awesome! I'm in!

Although, what time zone? Eastern? Central? etc Assuming there are players outside the US, that might be a difficult task.

Also, where exactly do we register? Post here? PM? Email? Since we're dealing with steamid
moethelawn

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Steam Friends Name: moethelawn
Xfire Name: moethelawn

Re:

Postby XE_ManUp » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:49 pm

moethelawn wrote:Awesome! I'm in!

Although, what time zone? Eastern? Central? etc Assuming there are players outside the US, that might be a difficult task.

Also, where exactly do we register? Post here? PM? Email? Since we're dealing with steamid

This is all in "concept" form right now. Nothing is concrete as of yet. We are waiting to hear a response from a few people prior to making anything official.
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Warren » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:27 am

I am working on the technical side right now. There will be no password, it will just manage all of the players who join and remove them if they are not scheduled for that time period.
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Xfire Name: WMA9000

Re: GunGame5 Prelude Tournament

Postby slipknot » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:23 am

I think this is a great idea. :D
It's better to burn out, than fade away.
slipknot

Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam Friends Name: sfmeyer1
Xfire Name: slipknotsfm

Re: Re:

Postby moethelawn » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:14 pm

XE_ManUp wrote:
moethelawn wrote:Awesome! I'm in!

This is all in "concept" form right now. Nothing is concrete as of yet. We are waiting to hear a response from a few people prior to making anything official.

Yes of course xD I was just excited lol. Can't wait to hear more of the details
moethelawn

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby IPS TOONCES » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:13 pm

yes sir!
IPS TOONCES

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Steam Friends Name: GENERAL-TOONCES

Postby Saul » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:39 pm

If its GMT I am definately in, if not I'm definately out (not trying to sound like a fag but I have bed times and school time, too ;))
Saul

GunGame5 Developer
GunGame5 Developer

Xfire Name: saul0

Postby moethelawn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:30 am

Maybe split the tournaments into regions? That would be cool in a way to show how widespread gungame is :) Despite not being able to play against players in other continents.
moethelawn

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Bogie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:42 pm

What servers?
Bogie

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: goober18k

Postby Defcon » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:41 pm

I have offered to supply 5 servers for the tournament, ive offered to setup the brackets on my current gun game wars league (which has 21 teams already playing in the regular league) and have been all but told "hell no". So, im awaiting details so that I can announce it for my whole league so they have a chance to join in on your tournament. Any details you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Defcon
Defcon

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Steam Friends Name: lonbow

Postby Warren » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:09 pm

Defcon wrote:I have offered to supply 5 servers for the tournament, ive offered to setup the brackets on my current gun game wars league (which has 21 teams already playing in the regular league) and have been all but told "hell no". So, im awaiting details so that I can announce it for my whole league so they have a chance to join in on your tournament. Any details you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Defcon

Thanks for the generous offer, but we are in the middle of working with a sponsor to supply prizes. This means they will also want to host the tournament on their own servers so that they can say that it was run by them, and people can see how their servers run. Also, there is no need for a bracket, it is a 1 night tournament that will only take a couple hours.

If we are in need of servers, we will let you know.
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby XE_ManUp » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:54 pm

The server side of it isn't the issue, nor is it necessarily the tournament. It's the prizes and sponsorship. I don't want to host a tournament without being able to give out something in return.

Defcon wrote:...and have been all but told "hell no"...

By someone here? I haven't heard mention of this anywhere? Or are you talking about your people?
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby XE_ManUp » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:07 pm

For further clarification, if it was someone that gave you the impression of "hell no" from our end, I believe the point is that if we get a GSP to offer prizes, they will likely want us to use their servers for the tournament for further advertising. Just wanted to throw that out there.
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Defcon » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:08 pm

it doesnt matter to me where it is hosted as far as servers, or where the tournament takes place. I basically was asking for details concerning when and where so that i could announce to my league about it so they can play too if they wish. It was just another way of getting you a bigger audience. I was told that the GG5 was going to be released on halloweeen and i know you guys were working on some issues that delayed that release. Im only asking you guys not to wait on the release until you get the details of a "tournament" taken care of because that wouldnt really make too much sense considering i can have your tournament done in one night and i already have all the manpower, coding, and server backing to do it in a moments notice.
Defcon

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Steam Friends Name: lonbow

Postby Warren » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:41 pm

Defcon wrote:Im only asking you guys not to wait on the release until you get the details of a "tournament" taken care of because that wouldnt really make too much sense considering i can have your tournament done in one night and i already have all the manpower, coding, and server backing to do it in a moments notice.

Again, thanks for the generous offer, but we already have the manpower, coding, and servers covered.

With our setup we only will need 2 people supervising the whole tournament. The coding is already complete, and we already have the two required servers, although we will probably end up using the sponsor's servers.
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion