Problems with a GG5 server running in deathmatch mode

Ask questions and share info about GunGame 5

Postby Cisco » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:18 am

Well I have to say v557 is looking more stable, but I just had a low FPS situation followed by a crash.

Heavy lag on the server at the end of the map before the one it crashed on.
Cisco

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: gg_cisco
Xfire Name: th3c1sc0k1d

Re: Problems with a GG5 server running in deathmatch mode

Postby VoGon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:36 pm

I'm sad to say that we have solved our issues...

Why am I sad? Because we reverted to GG4…

No fps loss and no server's IN issues. On a full server hosting deathmatch (20+ ppl on it) we have our IN dropping to 60 on certain occasions, but it comes immediately up after round start to a more comfortable 80 90, with half server the IN is at 90 100 most of the time (opposed to the constant 50 with GG5). Also server FPS's are much more stable and no crashing occurred. We have not experienced any other issue with FPS's going down to 30(!) and staying there and server IN going to 10... Our server is a Dedi quad core with 4 gigs of mem, so our feeling is that it would "hold" and not crash but stay with the same low fps and IN.

The setup is exactly the same, mani loaded through metamod, anticamp script (and hard anticamp rules enforced, with the camping being detected on 2 seconds stop, so more activity for the server to register and "think" about), estools and eventscripts. The only thing we changed was indeed the GG script and the problems faded away...

We actually just added the GG4 script and loaded it, didnt even remove the 5, so its not a new full server install.

As you can see by the screenshot below, the before and after:

beforeafter.jpg

Unfortunately our posts and detailed information have not helped the programmers and no feedback has been given by them on what may cause it (it even looked as they actually didn't care...), so since our goal is to have quality servers we decided to move to the older script that it’s not Python, it's not fast, it’s not better, but works, doesn't cause any issues as is proving to be better...

I’m sad of leaving this mod for now as it had so many nice features, but as you may understand it’s of no use to have a server running that causes daily problems, and that even if you want to fix them you cannot as no solutions or suggestions are made by the people who created it…

We have spent more than a month trying to solve this, with different GG5 versions, removing of mani, changing the respawn from gg utils to estools (that actually made it worse, with random crashes that we didn’t have), being on top of it daily with several manual unload and reload of the script to avoid it getting real low IN and fps, crashing the server trying to add an automated process to reload it, etc… all with the idea that it would have to be something related to any other thing, but eventually looks like the real issue is GG5 itself.

I know the script is free, that it’s not “professional” or that it’s not peoples “job”, but this post is to alert the Gungame 5 Programmers that something is indeed wrong, and when people want to help and try and sort it they should jump in and say something so that eventually a reason could be found. My personal view is that it’s of no use going to google svn, posting a server log, and just say “it crashes” as most of the answers I saw there are inconclusive.

I will follow the development of GG5 and eventually will migrate again, but for now it causes more issues than it solves…
VoGon

Recruit
Recruit

Steam Friends Name: vogonpt

Postby Don » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:21 pm

Glad to hear you solved your issue. You do know GG5 is in Public Beta right? There will probably be some issues with it and we hope our beta testers help us resolve these issues. It's too bad you can't wait for our developers to get back to working on the issues but best of luck to you.
Don

Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam Friends Name: Don
Xfire Name: donlafferty

Re:

Postby RideGuy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:21 pm

Cisco wrote:Well I'm currently running rev 577, and I have tried v586 and v548 with no luck.

Going to try v557 now, first just reverting gungame.py followed by reverting gungamelib.py as well if that doesn't work.

Anytime you change revisions it is essential that you update the entire package.

If you want to take another crack at it try a fresh install of 586. r586 is a very important update and here's why:

We had a bug in gungame that was causing a runtime error in Eventscripts. This runtime error would actually break the es_map_start event causing it not to fire. I'm not sure the extent of the bugs that this might fix, but it could be allot of them.

RideGuy
RideGuy

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tigerox » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:25 am

I have the exact same problem. Low fps and high cpu usage.

r586 has this issue as well. It seems to be a memory leak.

We run a busy server and the performance degrades very fast. 2 hours of playtime and the server is at 95% cpu usage.
Unfortunately I had to switch back to GG4. :(

Hope someone can help soon.
tigerox

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: tigerox

Postby Warren » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:50 am

tigerox wrote:I have the exact same problem. Low fps and high cpu usage.

r586 has this issue as well. It seems to be a memory leak.

We run a busy server and the performance degrades very fast. 2 hours of playtime and the server is at 95% cpu usage.
Unfortunately I had to switch back to GG4. :(

Hope someone can help soon.

What happened when you unloaded GunGame while you were having issues?
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Xfire Name: WMA9000

Postby tigerox » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:27 am

CPU usage goes down and fps are back to normal.
tigerox

Private
Private

Postby tigerox » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

You can see the steady decrease in FPS with GG5. The GG4 fps would dip a bit more if the load was higher in that graph. But it shows the general idea of whats going on.
tigerox

Private
Private

Postby your-name-here » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:43 pm

The issue here is the fact that Python garbage collection is not doing its thing, causing a memory leak. It also consumes massive amounts of CPU. Right now, I'm running revision 560, it's stable, I don't have any lag issues on my servers with it.

However, the ram issue IS still there with r560. However, I suggest using a reboot script like ace_reboot to restart your server at 6am every day or so.

Cheers,
your-name-here
your-name-here

Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam Friends Name: your-name-here
Xfire Name: thinkerroad

Postby tigerox » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:18 pm

I have switched to using GG4 with a SourceMod plugin to handle deathmatch mode. This way I don't use ES_TOOLS.

It is a huge difference in performance compared to GG4's deathmatch addon, It also runs much better than GG5 DM did.
tigerox

Private
Private

Postby XE_ManUp » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:21 pm

tigerox wrote:I have switched to using GG4 with a SourceMod plugin to handle deathmatch mode. This way I don't use ES_TOOLS.

It is a huge difference in performance compared to GG4's deathmatch addon, It also runs much better than GG5 DM did.

I'm glad that you found a solution that works for you. I would suggest that you still try use GG5 and allow the SourceMod plugin to handle the deathmatch portion.

Contrary to what it may seem, we still care about everything going on with GunGame5, especially these issues in particular. They seem to be tied to some sort of memory issue which we have been working hard to find. All of us have been quite busy as of lately (I just moved from Washington, DC to Tampa, FL) and haven't had much time to troubleshoot. Anyhow, all excuses aside, we are hoping to find the source of the memory errors, if not eliminate them completely. This way, you will not be forced into reverting GunGame or using external plugins.

I am not going to claim that this will not take time. That would be misleading. I will say, however, that we are looking in to various ways of optimizing any code from within GunGame5 as a whole. Hopefully, you will be able to notice a difference with the newer code changes. I would like to reiterate that this is going to take some time. Perhaps this will give you something to look forward to, but unfortunately, all I can tell you right now is that it is being worked on. I can't go into much detail until I/we have coded enough to test the newer system to see if it works well in dealing with the memory issues.
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tealk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:38 pm

i have a problem with deathmatch too
can anyone look on my post plz
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=535
PS: Rechtschreibfehler sind für die allgemeine Belustigung!
Für diese Rechtschreibfehler haftet mein Deutschlehrer
Tealk

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: tealkfreek

Postby Cisco » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:14 am

Thank you for the affirmation, XE_ManUp, GG5 is actually still more stable than GG4 on my server so we're sticking with it.

Can't wait for you to find the issue, and thank you for all the work so far!

-Cisco

XE_ManUp wrote:I'm glad that you found a solution that works for you. I would suggest that you still try use GG5 and allow the SourceMod plugin to handle the deathmatch portion.

Contrary to what it may seem, we still care about everything going on with GunGame5, especially these issues in particular. They seem to be tied to some sort of memory issue which we have been working hard to find. All of us have been quite busy as of lately (I just moved from Washington, DC to Tampa, FL) and haven't had much time to troubleshoot. Anyhow, all excuses aside, we are hoping to find the source of the memory errors, if not eliminate them completely. This way, you will not be forced into reverting GunGame or using external plugins.

I am not going to claim that this will not take time. That would be misleading. I will say, however, that we are looking in to various ways of optimizing any code from within GunGame5 as a whole. Hopefully, you will be able to notice a difference with the newer code changes. I would like to reiterate that this is going to take some time. Perhaps this will give you something to look forward to, but unfortunately, all I can tell you right now is that it is being worked on. I can't go into much detail until I/we have coded enough to test the newer system to see if it works well in dealing with the memory issues.
30k HLStatsX Points Race with Cash Prizes starts 6/18/09 at 6pm!
Cisco

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: gg_cisco
Xfire Name: th3c1sc0k1d

Postby XE_ManUp » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:41 pm

From my understanding, I believe one of the major issues that we are having is tied to a memory leak in EventScripts with the es.usermsg() command, which is what handles the messages in the player chat area as well as hudhints. Hopefully, this will be patched soon enough in an upcoming EventScripts version.

Not only that, but we have been working very hard on pulling together some new code to make GunGame operate even better than it does now (although what we have now is far from perfect). ;)
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby maccauk » Sat May 02, 2009 11:57 am

I notice on my server, it is also is a 100tik we get lag but what i have starting doing every day is restarting server.. i only decided to do this when i realised when it got really laggy thats when a lot of admin restart thier servers and it seems to do the job for few days . so i just do it every monring and as work for me... and all so dropped the 100 tic to 75 in admin cpanel command line . :D my server runs real smooth now i get same peeps comin back everynight..
maccauk

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: macca

Re:

Postby Warbucks » Mon May 04, 2009 10:38 pm

XE_ManUp wrote:From my understanding, I believe one of the major issues that we are having is tied to a memory leak in EventScripts with the es.usermsg() command, which is what handles the messages in the player chat area as well as hudhints. Hopefully, this will be patched soon enough in an upcoming EventScripts version.

Not only that, but we have been working very hard on pulling together some new code to make GunGame operate even better than it does now (although what we have now is far from perfect). ;)

Will this be available on subversion to test?
Warbucks

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Steam Friends Name: Warbucks81
Xfire Name: Warbucks81

Re: Re:

Postby XE_ManUp » Sat May 16, 2009 8:03 am

Warbucks wrote:Will this be available on subversion to test?

If you are asking about the new GunGame code, eventually it will become available. However, as we are in development stages, if is not going to become available until we feel it is ready to be tested.
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Shadow » Wed May 27, 2009 12:23 am

If I can add a little something... You are saying that you are running "Mani Admin Plugin 2007 V1.2BetaS VSP and on the mani web site they are strongly suggesting to remove it an use Mani Admin Plugin v1.2BetaO instead as the BetaS is very unstable. I had issues where my server was crashing for no reason and other issues, very unstable and since I downgrade it to BetaS, my GG5 server as been running very smooth since then. It may or may not fix you issue but I am sure it will help in someway :)
Shadow

Corporal
Corporal

Postby XE_ManUp » Fri May 29, 2009 2:14 am

XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TempletonPeck » Fri May 29, 2009 5:21 pm

We got the same problem.

High CPU usage, low FPS ...it makes no sense to use GG5 on a big Server like ours (36 Slots). I wished someone could fix that issue VERY soon cause if not, we have to quit gungame (we wont use Gungame4 cause there are not enough varies to make it individual for our actual gameplay, which many players love)
TempletonPeck

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: CandyVib3s

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion