Knife Adjustment - Please Help

Request a custom addon/script you would like to see made.

Knife Adjustment - Please Help

Postby Xero » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:48 pm

I was referred here to have a script made for this...if anyone could please help out, we'd really appreciate it.

Much like the gungame of 1.6, I really would prefer it if our knife kills gave you an additional 3 kills (or -3 kills to the person who was knifed), rather than just taking someone to the next level or taking them back to the previous level. As it stands now, if you're at 2/3 kills, its basically pointless to knife someone. Also, as it stands now, if someone is at 2/3 kills and gets knifed, in essence you're taking away FIVE kills from them, because they go back to 0/3 on the PREVIOUS level...so its really just kind of odd how its set up.

If anyone could help out, i'd really like to make this adjustment to our server. Thanks in advance!

Xero
SNK Gungame Server
74.201.57.53:27015
Xero

Private
Private

Postby Warren » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:48 am

Please do not double-post. Your other topic has been deleted.
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Xfire Name: WMA9000

Re: Knife Adjustment - Please Help

Postby Xero » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:17 pm

My fault...after a day I had 5 topic views and thought I might get better luck elsewhere...

Anyone able to help?

I think this is something that should actually come standard in gungame. Without it being set up like this, it basically just makes knifing pointless unless you're on 0/3 for your current level. After that, the question just becomes "Can I get 2 kills with a gun faster than 1 kill with a knife?", And the answer is almost always yes.

Not to get all picky, but I'd also like to see another adjustment. Level 1's should be able to be knifed for a level up, or at least have it as an option. It's one thing if people use traditional order and everyone starts with a glock...then MAYBE you can make the case to defend them since they have such a weak weapon, but they still have a weapon...they can still defend themselves. If I go to the trouble of knifing someone, and they're possibly shooting at me, I deserve a level up. As it stands now, knifing someone who is level 1 doesnt even get you ONE KILL toward your next level...it basically acts as if you didn't kill them at all, which is kind of silly.
Xero

Private
Private

Postby Budda » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:57 pm

// KNIFE ROOKIE
//=========================================================
// Similar to gg_knife_pro but not as strict:
//
// The attacker will level up even when the victim is on level 1.
// The attacker will level up even though the victim cannot leveldown.
// The victim will level down even though the attacker cannot levelup.
//
// Options: 0 = Disabled
// 1 = Enabled

gg_knife_rookie 1

you can find this in cstrike/cfg/gungame5/gg_default_addons.cfg
Budda

Private
Private

Postby Xero » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:02 pm

Thanks for that...any help on the knife kills giving +3 and -3 instead of basing it on levels?
Xero

Private
Private

Postby Xero » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:57 am

Scope could you possibly take a look at this suggestion for implementation as the standard for gungame5? I really really think its worthwhile...to me it actually makes or breaks the knife aspect of the game...i think that's why you'll find its been coded that way in pretty much every gungame version pre-source. I'm sure with all of the resources in this forum we can make it happen...it really takes a lot of the strategy aspect out of the game the way it is now...makes it a lot more "tedious" i guess.

Thanks.
Xero

Private
Private

Postby Xero » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:27 pm

Wow guys...really? There are two threads posted about this same issue in this forum, and maybe 1 worthwhile response (which still didn't answer the question, it touched on a minor side issue)... Do you not care about the playability of your mod? This [CENSORED] has been posted for like over 2 weeks now. You might as well have just not even tried to program knifing into the game whatsoever if you weren't going to do it in a worthwhile way...its like there was some super duper short cut involved instead of actually coding it in a way that makes sense, and someone just went "ah [CENSORED] it, they'll never care"...it really just defeats the purpose. I loved gungame on 1.6, but it's getting to a point to where it just pisses me off to play it now. How hard can it be to adjust something like this? I'm betting someone that knows the coding could fix it up in about 10 minutes tops...

The "jist" is:

Currently:

Knife Kill = Next level for killer
Knife Death = Previous level for killed

Should be:

Knife Kill = +3 kills for killer
Knife Death = -3 deaths for killed

How hard is that to code? Honestly.

Commence banning me from this forum I suppose, I'll probably get just as much help then...

Xero
Xero

Private
Private

Postby Don » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:49 pm

Xero wrote:Wow guys...really? There are two threads posted about this same issue in this forum, and maybe 1 worthwhile response (which still didn't answer the question, it touched on a minor side issue)... Do you not care about the playability of your mod? This [CENSORED] has been posted for like over 2 weeks now. You might as well have just not even tried to program knifing into the game whatsoever if you weren't going to do it in a worthwhile way...its like there was some super duper short cut involved instead of actually coding it in a way that makes sense, and someone just went "ah [CENSORED] it, they'll never care"...it really just defeats the purpose. I loved gungame on 1.6, but it's getting to a point to where it just pisses me off to play it now. How hard can it be to adjust something like this? I'm betting someone that knows the coding could fix it up in about 10 minutes tops...

The "jist" is:

Currently:

Knife Kill = Next level for killer
Knife Death = Previous level for killed

Should be:

Knife Kill = +3 kills for killer
Knife Death = -3 deaths for killed

How hard is that to code? Honestly.

Commence banning me from this forum I suppose, I'll probably get just as much help then...

Xero

Not going to ban you from the forum but please consider this. The guys who coded GG5 worked on it daily for about a year. They released it a few months ago and have been fixing bugs since then but have taken a break for a little while. Sc0pe is helping a lot but he's got a lot of stuff going on too.

Let me know after you've worked on something for a year then given it away for free and get comments like what you left. We'll see if you think it's a good idea then.
I am 31% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
Don

Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam Friends Name: Don
Xfire Name: donlafferty

Postby monkeyhouse » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:00 am

Xero wrote:I was referred here to have a script made for this...if anyone could please help out, we'd really appreciate it.

Much like the gungame of 1.6, I really would prefer it if our knife kills gave you an additional 3 kills (or -3 kills to the person who was knifed), rather than just taking someone to the next level or taking them back to the previous level. As it stands now, if you're at 2/3 kills, its basically pointless to knife someone. Also, as it stands now, if someone is at 2/3 kills and gets knifed, in essence you're taking away FIVE kills from them, because they go back to 0/3 on the PREVIOUS level...so its really just kind of odd how its set up.

If anyone could help out, i'd really like to make this adjustment to our server. Thanks in advance!

Xero
SNK Gungame Server
74.201.57.53:27015

You know I can see both sides here. First, I have to say that most people are going to ignore a request that hasn't been researched. I mean, one of the options you asked for is already in the game, the text he pasted in his reply was from the config itself. I also will say that it does seem odd to work on something for a year, release it to the public and decide to take a break. Then again, you get what you pay for. I think people tend to get spoiled by matties forums and the quick response, but it always wasn't that way, Mattie has built up a great community, but it takes time. Personally, I'm not a programmer, but I have no problems taking someone else's code and modifying it to do what I want. Why don't you look into it yourself Xero, you may surprise yourself. Finally, I will say that I've been playing gg for a good while now and honestly, it's a game of levels, not kills. The object of the game is to get to the next level. Furthermore, it is possible to modify the plugin so that you only need one knife kill to advance to the next level. I realize this isn't what you are asking for, but you could make all other weapons a minimum of 5 kills to level up and knifing needs just one kill to advance as a workaround.

Just my two cents,
Rodge
monkeyhouse

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: Monkey House Rocks a Fat Ass

Postby Don » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:06 am

Thanks for your comments monkeyhouse. I don't think it's odd to take a break after working on something for a year. I think it is well deserved. As you point out this mod is done by these guys without them getting a penny back. I think that in itself is a pretty big thing.

You do know the main reason Mattie's does so well is because he's got some really good mods and some really good people who spend a lot of time there. It's a lot more popular than this forum will ever be.
Don

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Xero » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:16 am

Actually monkeyhouse, your suggestion doesn't solve the problem at all, it actually makes it worse.

The same scenario would exist when you are on 4/5 kills and knife someone. It actually screws you out of 5 kills at this point instead of the usual 3, so its basically even more pointless than if it is set at 3 kills.

Also, if you knifed someone who was on 4/5 kills on their level, you'd be taking away 9 kills from them by putting them back to the beginning of the previous level. That alone is outrageous. I appreciate the feedback, as you two have posted more in the last 12 hours than I've seen anyone post in this thread in the past 2 weeks, but this is not something that is going to be helpful.

If it wasn't for the numerous posts I see Scope and the "Admins" replying to in the other threads, I don't think I would've gotten so frustrated by this point. Again, this was posted over 2 weeks (and theres another thread in this same forum thats been ignored about this same issue), and not one person has even replied about it. The issue that was pasted in the thread about the knife_rookie wasn't even a part of my original post, just something I threw in in one of my replies because I thought it would be a good idea.

I'm really just baffled though in all honesty. This was the way gungame 1.6 was coded, and its *obviously* by a mile the better of the two when it comes down to playability. It actually gives the knifing aspect of gungame a point...its hard to get knife kills, they should be rewarded...having them set up in such a way that 33% of the time you get absolutely no benefit from knife someone is just sillyness, especially when it was already corrected in the 1.6 mod that this was obviously BASED from, so i'm just wondering why it was even changed. It had to have been changed for a reason. You would think that some time during the "year" or coding this mod, someone would've said "oh wow this is off...let me take 10 minutes out of my year to change it to how it is coded to enhance my mod by leaps and bounds".

At the very least, even if you all couldn't give a damn about the obviously superior knife adjustment, a reply to my thread with a "yay" or "nay" or "I'm taking a break until august, ill work it out then" would be a far better solution than ignoring the thread completely. Especially since there are so many replies to things in the other threads. He even took the time to move this thread to the proper forum, and then not even comment on the idea. Almost seems like a slap in the face to someone who's trying to improve everyone's playability, which kinda sucks in my opinion.

Sorry to snap on you...I'd still like to see this, and I think it'd make a heck of a lot of difference in the popularity of your gungame mod. We're considering changing our gungame server over to something else anyway because of this type of carelessness, so if you don't get around to it I guess that'll be okay.
Xero

Private
Private

Postby Warren » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:06 pm

I don't think this would be simple to do, but I don't plan on looking into it anyways. We would probably have to recode aspects of the core module of GunGame.
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Xfire Name: WMA9000

Postby Xero » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:17 am

So I guess what you're telling me is that its too much trouble to fix? Was it purposely put in this way to begin with? If so, i'd love to hear why... I hope you've read my reasoning behind asking for this change...your system is set up in a way that you've got to plan out when and when not to attempt knife kills to even make them worthwhile...if you've already gotten one single kill on a particular level (in a 3 kill per level system) then you might as well not even take your knife out unless you just run up behind someone who's ducked down and facing away from you...the risk outweighs the reward...especially if you're a good player, 2 gun kills is extremely easier than 1 knife kill with any weapon in the game.

I also googled gungame mods for CSS and found that there are a lot of other options out there...I'm looking forward to finding out if they're set up the same way yours is in this manner. If not, that will be the decision maker for us as to which version to use, because it won't be this one as long as it remains broken. Yes, its broken, whether you want to admit it or not :P Maybe that explains the lack of traffic in your forums...folks haven't switched over from the more playable versions?
Xero

Private
Private

Postby Don » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:07 am

There are currently 810 servers using GunGame 5 out of just a tad over 2080 running an ES version of GG. I think that shows it's probably you and not us. This is still in beta and most people understand there will be times when it doesn't do exactly what they want.
Don

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Xero » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:35 am

Don that's understandable, but when I post an OBVIOUS strategic issue that you guys have failed to address, point it out with the solution (which just so happens to be the way the original gungame from 1.6 was already programmed), point out numerous benefits as to why it should be changed, etc etc...all I get is "its probably a lot of work to change"... No benefits to why it was originally put in the way that it was? From what i can see, there aren't any, but I'm just saying. If its something that is that obviously wrong, why wouldnt it be addressed? I'm not asking for it to be done tomorrow, but to sweep something like that under the rug with basically no thought about it whatsoever is a little bit ridiculous imo.
Xero

Private
Private

Postby Don » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:23 am

Ok, thanks for the input.
Don

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby monkeyhouse » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:53 am

Maybe I'm not understanding you here correctly, but I have to say as far as I am concerned, I like it the way it is, BUT I should point out that I don't use the mugmod type deal. I've seen it abused too much. People can be behind and just go out and knife for a while to catch up to all the folks who have gotten to their level by going through each weapon. (do I think it's hard to knife? Absolutely, but I also think it's hard to shoot someone 4 ft. away with an AWP while you're running, but I wouldn't give an extra reward for it). On my server, I use a custom weapon list as well, so I'm sure we differ there as well. Knife is still the last level for me(1 kill though). Let me see if I have this right though....you say that if you are on knife level and have 2 of 3 kills and you get knifed, then you go back one level, say to scout and are at 0 of 3 on scout. Now to me, this makes sense, you haven't killed anyone on scout since you were sent back there by the knife kill....why should you be rewarded for getting knifed? Am I getting what you are saying? (It's okay if we disagree, like I said, I don't like getting kinifed and losing a level so, I turned that function off on my server). By the way, you know what they say, you get more ants with sugar than vinegar(or something like that).
monkeyhouse

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: Monkey House Rocks a Fat Ass

Return to Script Requests