Little niggles

Post issues or suggestions for the site/forums.

Little niggles

Postby Saul » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:10 pm

I have a few forum organisation proposals, and also a proposal for the custom addon structuring.

• The GunGame 5 Discussion forum should be renamed to Discussion, as the Category is called GunGame 5 already. [Done]
  • The Custom Addon Requests forum in the Custom Addons forum should be renamed to Requests, same reason as above. [Done]
  • Addon downloads should be moved under the Custom Addons forum and renamed to Downloads, as it is categorised as related to Custom addons. [Done]
  • Gungame Maps should be moved under GunGame 5 and renamed to Community Maps, otherwise it sounds like official maps.
  • The Announcements category should be deleted, with the GunGame 5 Announcements forum being moved under the GunGame 5 category, and renamed to Announcements. [Done]
  • The General category should be moved to the top of the forum list.
  • New forums for the General category: Introductions -- Introduce yourself to other GunGame users. and Site Announcements -- Announcements related to the website
  • The GunGame 5 Documentation forum should be renamed to Tutorials, as a real documentation site (with full gungamelib documentation) is currently under development (well, sort of) on my PC.
  • A new link should be made under the GunGame 5 category named Documentation with a link to the new documentation that will be coming soon.
  • A new forum named Help & Support should be created under the Custom Addons forum, which provides help for custom addon developers.

Also, it would be nice to remove the huge Home | Forum links in the header, and should be moved to the bar with the FAQ, Members and Register links on, and Home should be renamed to Portal.

The Custom Addon proposal:
I think we should take a look at ESAM's and AlliedModder's stance to addons and create forums for Approved, Pending and Unapproved addons. These would hold the respective addons.

We would have a set of strict guidelines on how custom addons should be formed, and what structure their ZIP file should be in, etc.

The Approved forum would have the following permissions:
  • No topics can be created.
  • Topics cannot be editted by their owner (updates MUST be re-approved first).
  • Topics have write access to registered users.
  • The category is read-only to guests and below.

The Unapproved topic would have the following permissions:
  • No topics can be created.
  • Topics cannot be editted by their owner.
  • The category is read-only to any user lower than the Moderator group.
  • All attachments (the ZIP file) can be left for reference purposes.

All new addons would be posted in the Pending category. Topics would be read-only, and could not be edited by their owners. Fixed / updates addons must be reapproved before hand (new topic must be created). After topics are un/approved, they would be moved to their respective forums.

Don't get me wrong, the site is brilliant, and I thank you all for that (Don and Sc0pE in particular)... its just me being fussy, you all know how obsessive compulsive I am :P
Saul

GunGame5 Developer
GunGame5 Developer

Xfire Name: saul0

Postby Don » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Saul! We might do some of those but I would like to see some feedback from other beta testers first. We'll leave it as it is for a bit and then maybe do some more tweaking.
Don

Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam Friends Name: Don
Xfire Name: donlafferty

Postby Saul » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:04 pm

Sure thing, Don (once again thanks!).

Thanks for the reply.
Saul

GunGame5 Developer
GunGame5 Developer

Xfire Name: saul0

Postby XE_ManUp » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 pm

I have made a few of those changes, and marked which changes I have made with: [Done]
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Predator » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:52 pm

I personally like the Home | Forum buttons at the top :)
Predator

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Steam Friends Name: predator_teddybear
Xfire Name: gppredator

Return to Site Administration