Issue Reporting

Post issues or suggestions for the site/forums.

Postby Saul » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:50 pm

I'm telling you now it will be difficult integrating phpBB3 auth into ELog or whatever else your using.

Whats wrong with Google Code, anyway? We all like it, but now we're moving back to the forums again. Like I said before, this was the whole reason we moved to Google Code in the first place. Also, you've all gone ahead and said your doing it without consulting XE_ManUp (from what I know).

Shouldn't he be making the decisions here?
Saul

GunGame5 Developer
GunGame5 Developer

Xfire Name: saul0

Postby Artsemis » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:35 pm

To be honest, I loved using Google Code for issues. I like the concept of using the forums for discussion and chatter and keeping everything code related (including bugs) with the code itself on Google.

Just my opinion, but it seems like setting things up on the forums to handle it is reinventing the wheel.
Artsemis

GunGame5 Developer
GunGame5 Developer

Steam Friends Name: Artsemis
Xfire Name: Artsemis

Postby RideGuy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:44 pm

I 3rd staying with google code. It works great, and we (the people who do the bug killing) love it.
RideGuy

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Don » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:27 pm

Saul wrote:I'm telling you now it will be difficult integrating phpBB3 auth into ELog or whatever else your using.
How many times have you done it Saul?

As I stated before I don't have a dog in this fight. I will support either decision. I would say it's up to XE and RG.
Don

Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam Friends Name: Don
Xfire Name: donlafferty

Postby Don » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:28 pm

Saul wrote:Shouldn't he be making the decisions here?
He certainly is pivotal in decision making.
Don

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Warren » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:30 pm

I have reverted to Google Code for now. I stored the other reporting system in a hidden area in case we want to use it in the future.
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Xfire Name: WMA9000

Postby Saul » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:33 pm

I don't need to have done it to know its not going to be easy.
Saul

GunGame5 Developer
GunGame5 Developer

Xfire Name: saul0

Postby Don » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:48 pm

Saul wrote:I don't need to have done it to know its not going to be easy.
Quite pretentious of you Saul. It is easy if you know PHP. I've already told you we have done it on another phpbb3 forum. Why do you insist on being ornery?
Don

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Issue Reporting

Postby XE_ManUp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:19 pm

As far as my take on it, I have kinda posted it all over the place, but I apparently have not posted it here.

As far as Bug Reporting on the Forums is concerned, I do not like it. I have stated this in many places. Here's some reasoning:
  • It has already had the opportunity to be discussed HERE as well as in XFire conversations.
  • It clutters the forums.
  • It is hard to keep up with.
  • You have to constantly monitor forums, reply, shift, and move things around in forums.
  • Google is just simple, easier to keep track of, and keeps the forums clean.
  • Google is a centralized place for the SVN and the code already. Why not use the tools that already exist instead of reinventing the wheel?
  • If someone "has" to create an account for anything that is Google-related, I might be doing them a favor, as anything from Google is typically awesome!
  • Not to mention, we gave it a go, and none of the people that actually code GunGame cared for it.
I apologize if the above list seems a little crude, but I believe that my opinion has been fairly firm, although flexible. I am willing to try things, but it doesn't make much sense to me to already have something in place that works fine, yet have another 2-3 methods suggested. I have tried to remain patient, but there are other more pressing issues on our plate than replacing an existing system which works fine.

As far as I can tell, the only reason this whole "suggestion" started is because it would mean that people have to create 2 accounts (one for the forum, the other for the bug reports). This doesn't make much sense to me in the form of a debate. Either people think their bug is important enough to create an account, or they don't. If they don't, it is their loss...and someone else will likely take the time to do it in their stead. I have been dealing with GunGame for the past 3-4 years now. Believe me, people will report the bugs one way or the other. I just don't want them doing so in the forums. Should they attempt to, we will lock their thread, and link them to the FAQ for reporting bugs, as well as the GoogleCode Issue Reporter.

That's my take.
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostThis post was deleted by your-name-here on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:38 pm.

Previous

Return to Site Administration