[OLD] GunGame5 Memory Leak Fix (Windows)

Announcements about GunGame5.1

[OLD] GunGame5 Memory Leak Fix (Windows)

Postby XE_ManUp » Wed May 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am pleased to announce that Mattie (the creator of EventScripts) has coded a fix within EventScripts to deal with the horrible memory leak issue that GunGame has been having. This leak was primarily on Deathmatch and Elimination servers, but exists on all versions of EventScripts prior to this point.

The following download is for Windows only, and I was told that a Linux fix would be here within the next 2 weeks or so.

First, download this:
http://mattie.net/downloads/mattie_even ... 2_250i.zip

Then, download this:
http://mattie.net/downloads/mattie_even ... 00.252.zip

The second download contains a mattie_eventscripts.dll. This goes in "cstrike/addons". Make sure you stop your server before trying to upload it.

Again, this update is for Windows-based servers only.
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby scso1502 » Thu May 28, 2009 7:11 am

Thanks for posting this..
scso1502

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: scso1502
Xfire Name: scsomaverick

Postby scso1502 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:56 pm

UPDATE ON THIS:

I have been running the new version on my dedicated Windows 2008 server box and it appears to be rock solid with no leaking anymore. All my servers, including my always-full 24-slot Gungame DM server are using below 200 MB of RAM after 10 hours of running time. Usually the GG/DM server would be up to 650 MB by now. This is truly a great day for Eventscripts and Gungame users.

Thanks a TON for getting this out there! After almost 8 months of frustration, I can once again breathe a sigh of relief without worrying about my servers crashing my dedicated box with leaking memory. Our community thanks all those who contributed to this fix.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ME!
Mike Vail
BOOM! Gaming Community
http://www.boomgaming,net
Last edited by scso1502 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
scso1502

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: scso1502
Xfire Name: scsomaverick

Postby TempletonPeck » Fri May 29, 2009 11:38 pm

I´m so f...... KEEN on the LINUX fix !!

We really need that so much on our 36 Slot Gungame Server.
TempletonPeck

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: CandyVib3s

Re: GunGame5 Memory Leak Fix (Windows)

Postby silent » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:53 am

Any updates on the linux fix?
silent

Private
Private

Postby XE_ManUp » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:06 am

silent wrote:Any updates on the linux fix?

Nope. Until Mattie gives me something, I have no updates at all. We are still waiting.
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TempletonPeck » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:06 pm

Hmm, this takes very long. I wonder why the Windows fix has been released earlyer than the Linux Fix cause most of the Servers are Linux based. Its very hard to host a Server which crashes from time to time and most of the Players arent interested in "technical themes". They just stay on a Server which works perfectly or leave forever...
TempletonPeck

Private
Private

Re:

Postby silent » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:33 pm

TempletonPeck wrote:Hmm, this takes very long. I wonder why the Windows fix has been released earlyer than the Linux Fix cause most of the Servers are Linux based. Its very hard to host a Server which crashes from time to time and most of the Players arent interested in "technical themes". They just stay on a Server which works perfectly or leave forever...

I know how you feel. I have to restart the server every night. It seems if i unload gungame every few hours it helps with the issue a lot, but its a big hassle. I have been holding back expanding slots on my server past 20 because of it. *prays mattie will hurry up* :)
silent

Private
Private

Postby TempletonPeck » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:13 pm

Well, one restart within 24 hours is nothing bad imo. We will of course restart our Server everyday, even if the fix is out. But now we have to do this A FEW TIMES a day, and thats not what it should be. Its hard to have fun with 36 Players at night, knowing meanwhile that the Server could crash every second.
TempletonPeck

Private
Private

Postby XE_ManUp » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Unfortunately, I can not answer your questions. I can only ask that you remain patient for the fix. I could ask Mattie for a timeline, but I feel that would be rude/pushy. Once he is ready, I am sure he will release it.
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ununquadium » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:44 pm

TempletonPeck wrote:Well, one restart within 24 hours is nothing bad imo. We will of course restart our Server everyday, even if the fix is out. But now we have to do this A FEW TIMES a day, and thats not what it should be. Its hard to have fun with 36 Players at night, knowing meanwhile that the Server could crash every second.

if you have mani admin you can use crontab.

relgg.cfg
es_unload gungame
es_delay 1.0
es_load gungame

crontablist.txt from mani admin
"" "00:01-23:59" exec relgg.cfg

gungame is reloading after every start of new map. i`m using this code and server works fine.
Ununquadium

Recruit
Recruit

Postby TempletonPeck » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:13 am

No, we dont use Mani cause its just too old. But shouldnt it also work to put this code

es_unload gungame
es_delay 1.0
es_load gungame

into the server.cfg which is also executed every mapchange?

If not we will surely find another contrab way for sourcemod.
TempletonPeck

Private
Private

Postby silent » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:40 am

I have mani installed but i forgot about its built in cron so i just wrote a little script to do it, i don't know if it will cause problems but it has been working on my server for 2 days. Name it what ever you want and stick it in your addons and add a es_load line in your autoexec and it runs fine. It has helped with the tic rate loss but it still drops during respawns or when there is 15+ players to around 60 from 100.

import es

def es_map_start(event_var):
    es.server.queuecmd('say unloading gungame')
    es.server.queuecmd('es_unload gungame')
    es.server.queuecmd('say loading gungame')
    es.server.queuecmd('es_load gungame')

silent

Private
Private

Postby XE_ManUp » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:18 pm

XE_ManUp wrote:The following download is for Windows only, and I was told that a Linux fix would be here within the next 2 weeks or so.

Umm, I completely mis-read what was said by Mattie on the second statement. "A proper fix may be 2 weeks out," was his wording, but we are still waiting. I apologize for the confusion caused by myself. I wanted to "retract" that statement so that you guys didn't think that Mattie had a promise he didn't deliver on. Mattie always delivers...I just misread what he said.
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TempletonPeck » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:03 am

silent wrote:I have mani installed but i forgot about its built in cron so i just wrote a little script to do it, i don't know if it will cause problems but it has been working on my server for 2 days. Name it what ever you want and stick it in your addons and add a es_load line in your autoexec and it runs fine. It has helped with the tic rate loss but it still drops during respawns or when there is 15+ players to around 60 from 100.

import es

def es_map_start(event_var):
    es.server.queuecmd('say unloading gungame')
    es.server.queuecmd('es_unload gungame')
    es.server.queuecmd('say loading gungame')
    es.server.queuecmd('es_load gungame')

Will this method also help on the Memory Leak Problem, which is imo the MAIN Problem on Gungame5?

Or could i also just put this...

es_unload gungame
es_delay 1.0
es_load gungame

... into the autoexec.cfg?
---------------- aimroyale.de - Community for CSS, Gungame5 and Left 4 Dead ----------------
TempletonPeck

Private
Private

Postby silent » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:30 am

TempletonPeck wrote:Will this method also help on the Memory Leak Problem, which is imo the MAIN Problem on Gungame5?

Sadly i do not think this helps with the memory leak issue, which is a problem with event scripts and not gungame itself. While it does help reduce lag this is not a viable solution for large servers with over 20 players. Both the script and the mani cron do the same thing, but do not place es_unload commands into autoexec because this will cause issues. Use built in mani cron jobs or use the script.
silent

Private
Private

Postby tigerox » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:38 am

PLEASE!!

Any news on linux fix?
tigerox

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: tigerox

Postby TempletonPeck » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:36 am

Its one thing, not being too pushy on Mattie...

But its seriously a fact that the memory leak kills many Gungame Servers using Linux, cause many can´t handle the fact crashing several times a day. We´re lucky, having one of the biggest gungame Communitys in Germany, so our Server is being played on VERY well - but it really would be nice to finally have no problems at all with the memory leak.

We´re still waiting for the Linux fix...
TempletonPeck

Private
Private

Re:

Postby your-name-here » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:28 pm

TempletonPeck wrote:Its one thing, not being too pushy on Mattie...

But its seriously a fact that the memory leak kills many Gungame Servers using Linux, cause many can´t handle the fact crashing several times a day. We´re lucky, having one of the biggest gungame Communitys in Germany, so our Server is being played on VERY well - but it really would be nice to finally have no problems at all with the memory leak.

We´re still waiting for the Linux fix...

Mattie is going through some rough patches guys.

Please bear in mind that Mattie Casper has been doing all of this out of goodwill. Eventscripts is a massive plugin, and maintaining it requires an incredible amount of knowledge, skill, and time. Unfortunately, Mattie has been lacking the time department.
your-name-here

Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam Friends Name: your-name-here
Xfire Name: thinkerroad

Postby TempletonPeck » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:19 pm

Well, thats not funny any more, i have to say....

We´re hosting now the biggest Gungame Server in Germany and still this Memory Leak Effekt doesnt allow us to get better and bigger cause you cant say when the Server is crashing next time.

The Windows Fix has been realeased FIVE Months ago, nearly as soon as the Memory Leak went public. Now, in October, all Linux Servers are STILL waiting for that damn bug fix (and in fact most of all gungame Servers are based on Linux).

This Bug is killing Gungame5 seriously...

Hopefully in Version 5.1 it will be solved, even if Mattie hasn´t made it to release a Fix for 5.0
TempletonPeck

Private
Private

Next

Return to Announcements