Non-Steam GunGame Support

Announcements about GunGame5.1

Non-Steam GunGame Support

Postby XE_ManUp » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:24 am

Over the past several months, we have been plagued with several requests for allowing "kills by IP" or "kills by player name", etc. The only reason that this is being requested (after several posts back and forth) is that certain people are using a cracked version (non-Steam) of Counter-Strike: Source. I would like to take the time to address the GunGame5 Development Team's stance on those users running a non-Steam or "cracked" version of Counter-Strike: Source ---

GunGame5 is coded in such a way that it will work with Steam-based clients only. This is how everyone that has legitimately purchased the game has to play it, and therefore we rely on that same environment when we are coding GunGame5. This is not going to change. We will not support any server or server administrator trying to get GunGame5 to work on a non-Steam platform.

The only support that we will give is to offer you is a link to legitimately buy the game. Counter-Strike: Source is a great game, and for $19.99 (USD) you can own it legitimately and play on Steam-based servers.

It was never our intention to "break" GunGame for non-Steam users, but we refuse to take the time and effort to support a cracked engine for those who are attempting to run cracked/illegal versions of Counter-Strike: Source. Even if it were a simple process, I do not feel that it should be our responsibility to take the time out of our day to refactor GunGame so that those who have not paid for the game can play it.

For those of you that run across posts requesting support for GunGame5 on a non-Steam or cracked version of the Source Engine, please direct them here. I have provided the direct link below for your convenience:

http://forums.gungame5.com/viewtopic.php?p=3497
XE_ManUp

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby .3lite » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:04 pm

Yeah, I agree 100000%, leave this place thiefs..., you don't want to buy the game? Then don't play! Simply solution, and "no money" isn't reason to steal.
.3lite

Private
Private

Re: Non-Steam GunGame Support

Postby zazra » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Using Hamachi also gives this problem, even on a NON-illegal server
zazra

Recruit
Recruit

Steam Friends Name: mwebbie

Postby satoon101 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:38 am

How so? Just curious why that would cause this issue. Are you saying that players would somehow have the same uniqueid when using that? Pretty sure that is not true.

Satoon
satoon101

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:

Postby zazra » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:37 am

satoon101 wrote:How so? Just curious why that would cause this issue. Are you saying that players would somehow have the same uniqueid when using that? Pretty sure that is not true.

Satoon

I have tried this out today and when using hamachi your server thinks all clients are connecting locally.
Now i switched off hamachi and let my friends join just over my normal outside IP and then things worked just fine as they should, no more problems as in "team" leveling (since we were in the same team playing against BOTS).
zazra

Recruit
Recruit

Postby satoon101 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:01 am

Try this for me. Load up this script, and have your friends join. Once they have, and you have started playing, type ids in chat. Let us know the output from your server's console.
import es, playerlib

def es_player_chat(ev):
    if ev['text'] == 'ids':
        for player in playerlib.getPlayerList():
            es.dbgmsg(0,'%s - %s'%(player.steamid,player.uniqueid(True)))
Save that as anything you want, as long as it is in the format ..addons/eventscripts/<script>/<script>.py , where <script> is the name you wish to call it. Then to load, use es_load <script>

Thanks,
Satoon
satoon101

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zazra » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:13 pm

Well i did as you asked and now i get this output:

STEAM_0:1:4479822 - STEAM_0:1:4479822
STEAM_0:1:25637598 - STEAM_0:1:25637598
BOT - BOT_KABOUTER_ URI
BOT - BOT_KABOUTER_ PERRY
BOT - BOT_KABOUTER_ PAT
BOT - BOT_KABOUTER_ MARVIN

But for some reason there is no "team" leveling now, and the only 2 things i changed are, that i opened the server ports in my router and my server is set to internet and NOT lan.
Perhaps there was some problem with that? I will try if can get the problem back again...
zazra

Recruit
Recruit

Postby satoon101 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:40 pm

Yes, please try to set it back to LAN so you create the issue again. Once you have established that you are having the issue, test the script and post your results here.

Thanks,
Satoon
satoon101

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Twank » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:22 pm

Hey all. We host a LAN party once a month at a local computer repair shop and were thinking about adding GunGame to the server list. I just noticed this post on the main page and it sounded as though this may not be possible with our setup, so I thought I'd double-check.

All people will be running legit Steam copies of the game. The catch is we limit internet access if we provide any at all, so everyone is required to have their steam running in Offline Mode. Will this pose an issue?
Twank

Recruit
Recruit

Steam Friends Name: Triple_Nothing@hotmail.com

Postby satoon101 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:06 am

No, it will not pose an issue. GunGame is written so that it uses a UniqueID. For online players, this is just their SteamID. For BOTS, it uses their name. And for LAN players, it uses their IP address.

Satoon
satoon101

Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Announcements