GunGame5.1 Released to the Public!

Announcements about GunGame5.1

GunGame5.1 Released to the Public!

Postby Warren » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:24 am

Click here for the Script Addon Release Post

Firstly, I would like to thank the other developers, beta testers, and the many others involved in this release.
The main group of developers, excluding myself, are listed below:
  • XE_ManUp
  • Your-Name-Here
  • Monday
  • Llamaelite
  • RideGuy

These people have dedicated as much as a year of their time towards the development of GunGame5.1, and up to several years throughout previous versions of GunGame.

Last, but certainly not least, I would like to thank Mattie and the EventScripts Community without whom none of this would have ever been possible. Without your support and efforts, GunGame could never exist.

I would also like to extend a personal thanks to cagemonkey, for the original creation and concept of GunGame. Both cagemonkey and XE_ManUp worked hard on GunGame4, but he was unable to directly participate in the coding of GunGame5, as life has kept him fairly busy recently.

(XE_ManUp can be thanked for the above two paragraphs from the original GunGame5.0 release announcement. :D )

Now to the technical side, which I know any GunGame server administrator will appreciate. In GunGame5.1 we have completely re-coded GunGame in python, yet again, but this time in a much better structure. We have utilized python packages, many included EventScripts features and libraries, and the newly required Source Python Extensions plugin. All of this has contributed to an amazingly fast version of GunGame, which is much easier to configure, maintain, and understand. One of the most appreciated new features which our beta testers have enjoyed is the implementation of cfglib. Now, on most occasions, administrators will only need to extract and overwrite their ../addons/ directory, and not worry about merging any configuration files.

Please understand that, although our beta testers have done a phenomenal job reporting issues which they found and working towards their resolution, there still may be issues to uncover. There also may be suggestions and feature requests you will want to make. We hope that you will be able to help contribute towards the development progress by reporting or requesting on our website.

Also found on our website are numerous custom addons to modify your server even further.

Finally, with the influx of new testers we will have, it is likely that new issue solutions and features will be included. Please check for updates frequently and try to keep your server up to date. This includes updates to Source Python Extensions.

On behalf of the GunGame developer team, we would like to thank you for your past and future support!
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Xfire Name: WMA9000

Postby Don » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:07 am

Way to go guys! Great job getting this released to beta.
Don

Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam Friends Name: Don
Xfire Name: donlafferty

Postby scso1502 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:37 pm

I can't wait to run this! Great Job to the whole team! The community greatly appreciates all your hard work!

Lt. Maverick
BOOM! Gaming Community
scso1502

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: scso1502
Xfire Name: scsomaverick

Postby Warren » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:40 am

This tutorial for using gg_convert should be helpful for those of you who are updating to GunGame5.1.
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GraphiX2004 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:33 am

Thanks for the announcement i'm sorry to ask this here it looks like your busy updating the wiki

on the wiki it says

Does GunGame5.1 support any game other than Counter Strike: Source?

but there is no info there yet so my question is will gungame5.1 work with Day of Defeat source?

thanks.
GraphiX2004

Private
Private

Postby Warren » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:58 am

I am indeed working on the wiki.

Here's the short answer.

A summary of the long answer:
We have tweaked GunGame5.1 intricately so that it can work perfectly in Counter-Strike: Source. We take advantage of many CSS only features and properties, which are either not possible in other games, or not worth our time due to the lack of demand (to be honest).
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GunGame5.1 Released to the Public!

Postby GraphiX2004 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:59 am

Thanks for the in-depth reply Waren.

Was only asking since all the Day Of Defeat Source Servers lately have been Gungame.
wondering if this "gungame" mod doesn't work with DODs how are all these other servers running it perfectly fine.
GraphiX2004

Private
Private

Postby slipknot » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:11 am

Really excellent work guys! The whole GunGame community owes you a great debt and gratitude!
It's better to burn out, than fade away.
slipknot

Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam Friends Name: sfmeyer1
Xfire Name: slipknotsfm

Postby Warren » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:13 am

GraphiX2004 wrote:Was only asking since all the Day Of Defeat Source Servers lately have been Gungame.
wondering if this "gungame" mod doesn't work with DODs how are all these other servers running it perfectly fine.

All I can say is, despite the fact that I have no experience with GunGame for Day of Defeat: Source, they must be running an older version, or one specifically made for DOD:S.
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby your-name-here » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:52 pm

GraphiX2004 wrote:Thanks for the in-depth reply Waren.

Was only asking since all the Day Of Defeat Source Servers lately have been Gungame.

Since GunGame5.1 requires SPE, that means SPE needs to be ported to the OrangeBox engine (which I'm currently doing). However, GunGame5.1 is very modular and customizable, so in theory, it shouldn't be too hard to get it running on DoD:S.
your-name-here

Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam Friends Name: your-name-here
Xfire Name: thinkerroad

Postby TempletonPeck » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:55 am

Is the respawn fix implemented in GG5.1 ?

If so, i only have to

- remove "es_load gg_spawn" in my autoexec.cfg
- change "es_load gungame" to "es_load gungame51"
- upload the new addons folder

to update from gungame5 to gungame5.1 if i´m gettin it right, do i?
Last edited by TempletonPeck on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
TempletonPeck

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: CandyVib3s

Re:

Postby Warren » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:58 am

TempletonPeck wrote:Is the respawn fix implemented in GG5.1 ?

GunGame5.1 handles respawning on its own. There is no configurable option to use your own means of respawning. It uses the required Source Python Extensions plugin to do so.
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TempletonPeck » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:01 am

Pls watch my edit. But thanks for your kind and fast answer.
TempletonPeck

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: CandyVib3s

Postby Warren » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:53 am

Steps 1 and 2 are correct. Step 3 is not. Please look here.

I have also added a new memo to the top of the Updating wiki page.
This memo states that if you are updating from a previous GunGame version, to follow the installation instructions.
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby scso1502 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:26 pm

Can someone on the development team provide a detailed list of the feature changes that server-ops and players will find in Version 5.1? Are there additional settings and features that version 5.1 has over Version 5.0 or is the only difference the underlying coding?

Warm Regards,
Mike Vail
BOOM! Gaming Community
scso1502

Private
Private

Postby ShadowBlade » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Edit: ahh it's random by default, so far this is the smothist and best running GG yet, keep up the great work guys :-)
ShadowBlade

Private
Private

Postby Warren » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:10 pm

ShadowBlade wrote:Edit: ahh it's random by default, so far this is the smothist and best running GG yet, keep up the great work guys :-)

I'm not sure what your post was originally, before the edit, but it looks like you have sorted it out.

That's good to hear.
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:

Postby Warren » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:50 pm

scso1502 wrote:Can someone on the development team provide a detailed list of the feature changes that server-ops and players will find in Version 5.1? Are there additional settings and features that version 5.1 has over Version 5.0 or is the only difference the underlying coding?

I can't say that making a detailed list of changes will be a priority for us, or even practical to attempt.

What I can tell you is this:
  • All of the "underlying coding" has been re-thought to perform optimally, and correctly.
  • Weapon giving and stripping is much cleaner, and around 4x faster thanks to the newly required Source Python Extensions.
  • All of our configurable files have been re-thought, and are easier to manage.
  • When updating, you won't need to worry about config file merging, since you normally just upload the ../addons/gungame51/ directory.
  • All of the addons and functionality has been re-thought to work in the best way possible. This includes the logic inside of our addons, affecting game-play.
  • GunGame5.1 is in active development. Any issues reported will be worked on, and any feature requests will be considered.

This is just a short, simplified list of what I can think of off the top of my head.
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby scso1502 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:56 am

Thanks Warren. I appreciate the reply. I was just mostly wondering if there are new features built-in that people could use to make the game function differently. From your reply it looks like the coding changes are the majority of the new stuff. Great job to you all and thanks again.

Regards,
Mike Vail
scso1502

Private
Private

Postby The_Dali_Llama » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:25 pm

Hye just Curious where i can get the new GG5.1 dl. thanks in advance! :)
The_Dali_Llama

Private
Private

Steam Friends Name: Cueball915

Next

Return to Announcements