A few extra things

Make a suggestion for future revisions of GunGame.

A few extra things

Postby Predator » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:55 am

After install GunGame Python onto my Main server after the update to fix the memory leaks i have had some ideas on things which i personally feel could be improved / altered :)

Firstly,
I personally feel that the information given in the HintHud Text message should be reduced.

Example:
Current infomation given is:

Current Level of Max Levels
Current Weapon

Leaders and some other things i believe.

I personally feel that the only information needed is the Current Level and Current Weapon (First 2 bits). The hinthud message is quite large at the moment and i personally think it's unnecessary to have allthe extra information such as winner within it.

If not removed i think a variable should be enter to allow for different amounts of information in that window.

Secondly, The voting system. I feel this is amazing, after using the gungame3 one i wrote ages ago this is a huge improvement, and one thing i personally love is the Bots voting :)

One thing i noticed in particular is that when you have more than 3 maps in the HintHud text box, is doesn't really fit and makes it look a little silly.

As shown here: http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/ ... 97f137.png

I also noticed the Vote doesn't end until the time expires, any chance it could be made to check if everyone has voted or not and cancel if they have?

Other than that i thought it was perfect :)

( Oh and my Replay map option! :) )

Lastly it would be nice to see a few more messages in the chat area.

On GunGame3 it used to display on every kill, [GunGame] you are x levels behind the leader

I personally would love to see this message re-added, or a variable to allow it to display or whatever, because it is a lovely thing to see as it's a quick flick of the eyes to see and does stand out quite well. Obviously following new colour scheme of the messages, so es_tell #green[GunGame]#default You are #greenx #default levels behind the leader

Would also be nice to see a message for the leader such as, [GunGame] You are leading by x levels

Thats about all the little things i could find for today :)

My other ideas about features to add:

1. My Replay Map idea
2. A Method by which to get a GunGame command description and loop through all the ones gungame creates. This would be for some sort of adverts addon so you could display say every x seconds [<ModName>] Type '<ModCmd>' to <CmdDescription> So eg, [GG Buy Level] Type '!Buylevel' to Purchase a GunGame Level

Well thats all i can remember for today :)

Keep up the good work guys!

Thanks
~Edd
My Work:
Preds Match Admin (CSS)

TwistedPlay.Admin | Predator^
Predator

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Steam Friends Name: predator_teddybear
Xfire Name: gppredator

Postby Don » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:27 am

These are all great suggestions Pred! I think the guys should put these on the list of things to look at adding once we get the first release out the door. But, we don't want to add anything until them We want to fix the existing bugs and then release to the public.
Don

Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam Friends Name: Don
Xfire Name: donlafferty

Postby IPS TOONCES » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:20 am

maybe an option to enable/disable this stuff?
IPS TOONCES

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Steam Friends Name: GENERAL-TOONCES

Re:

Postby Predator » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:33 am

Don wrote:These are all great suggestions Pred! I think the guys should put these on the list of things to look at adding once we get the first release out the door. But, we don't want to add anything until them We want to fix the existing bugs and then release to the public.

I agree about the not adding much more until after the initial release, however i think some of the suggestions should be looked at prior to the release. Such as the maps in the Hinthud and canceling before the end of the timer if all players have voted. I would think of it more of a tweak than an addition :)

Also i was thinking of writing a custom addon to support the messages per levels etc..

On the public release note, i think it would be better to get all the little things added in before the public release. I agree new major additions should be left out. Perhaps made as custom addons rather than added directly to GunGame, but i think the tweaks and small changesa to the format should be looked into, as i don't think it would be a good idea to release a version where all the hinthud message is huge, then alter it to a TextMsg style in the chat area shortly after release.

Thanks
~Edd
My Work:
Preds Match Admin (CSS)

TwistedPlay.Admin | Predator^
Predator

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Warren » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:17 am

Good stuff.
Warren

Site Admin
Site Admin

Xfire Name: WMA9000

Postby Don » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:23 pm

This one is XE and RG's call.
Don

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Defcon » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:34 pm

sounds good, sometimes people do not want all the txt scrolling, so making it an addon would be good, it would allow server operators to choose to run it or not.
Defcon

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Steam Friends Name: lonbow

Postby Defcon » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:37 pm

I personally would love to see someone code a 1v1 knife option similar to kinfep3n. I would like to have options such as what type/color of beacon to choose, and have options for multiple sounds for:

1. knife agree
2. knife deny
3. knife fight start
4. knife fight music
5. knife fight end

most of this is included in knife pen except for (knife fight start/knife fight music) they just have option for music. They also do not have an optionto choose beacon type, they have options for color.

Some one might say that knifep3n is already out there, but so was the dissolver addon too, but it was included in gg5 and is a very nice option to have.

just a suggestion and request.

Defcon
Defcon

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Don » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:03 pm

I've got an interesting 1v1 knife addon coded and ready to test. It's a collaboration between slipknot and myself. We call it Gladiator and it's got some interesting stuff. I'll be posting it soon.
Don

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Predator » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:20 pm

I think some other things which would be nice to see before the public release.

GunGame Tk Protection,

So perhaps options like so:

1. Forgive
2. Slay
3. Steal a Level
4. Beacon
etc....

Also a addition to the spawn protection.

It would be nice to be able to set different colours for different teams. So i could Set CT's to Blue whilst there protected and T's to Red :)

Thanks
~Edd
Predator

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RideGuy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:35 pm

XE and I already have plans to cut down on the amount of info shown in the hudhint. We will probably remove at least the current leaders. Maybe more. The important information is your level, weapon, multikill, and maybe levels away from the leader.

I will sneak in the map vote repeat map idea in there.

I don't think the map vote hudhint is passing the character limit. We'll have to look into that one. Maybe Tpred can add that as an issue on google code.

I will add a function to get all the current registered commands.

Having a seperate addon controlling the messages is a great idea, but will not make the initial release.

We have plans to create user settings, so the user can control exactly what messages they see where, but again this will not make the initial release.

I made a GG TK protection script for GG4. I will port it to GG5 after it's release.

Don's Gladiator script that includes 1v1 is awsome. If you asked him nicely he might also put out a stand alone 1vs1 script.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,
RideGuy
RideGuy

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Predator » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:45 pm

Spawn protection addition :P

~Edd
Predator

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Predator » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:59 am

About the information in the HintHud.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/ ... 5b2740.png

As you can see when there are a lot of leaders then it doesn't fix on the Box.

~Edd
Predator

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Saul » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:50 pm

Like all the suggestions there.

RideGuy wrote:We have plans to create user settings, so the user can control exactly what messages they see where, but again this will not make the initial release.

That was supposed to be one of the main features in GG5 (supposed to be in gg_admin...).

Also, all these major features your coming up with will most likely NOT make it in to the initial release, maybe 5.1, when we will be fixing some of the things that we think need revamping.
Saul

GunGame5 Developer
GunGame5 Developer

Xfire Name: saul0

Postby Predator » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:01 pm

Yea i understand :) Good to know there being looked at for future releases!

~Edd
Predator

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re:

Postby slipknot » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Don wrote:I've got an interesting 1v1 knife addon coded and ready to test. It's a collaboration between slipknot and myself. We call it Gladiator and it's got some interesting stuff. I'll be posting it soon.

Don maybe direct defcon to the server running gladiator and put bot level 2:1 :?:
It's better to burn out, than fade away.
slipknot

Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam Friends Name: sfmeyer1
Xfire Name: slipknotsfm

Postby Don » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:50 pm

There it is with no bots in it. I'll be away today so if you try it you'll need at least another person.
Don

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A few extra things

Postby Defcon » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:28 pm

id love to test the knife mod, if youve ever been to my server, youll see i love to customize, make sure people can change/add sounds.

:D

Defcon
Defcon

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Don » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:44 pm

I'll send it to you when I get home tomorrow. I'm getting ready to leave for an overnight trip. Although maybe I'll be able to get it to you tonight if I do something clevel.
Don

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Predator » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:43 pm

A few more tweaks which i believe should be made before the initial release.

I think on the map vote, it should display the map that wins in the chat area, and if mani is not enabled a nextmap command should be registered so people can query it.

Also on the end of the gungame. (There is a bug which Rideguy is working on i believe) i think it would be nice to have a message like, [GunGame] <PlayerName> Has won!!! Nextmap: <NextMap>

And that message should display twice once below the other so it is not just one line :)

Also could if dm enabled could everyone be spawned at the end so thye can all chat to each other whilst the song plays.

Thanks
~Edd
Predator

Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Next

Return to Suggestions